Persian Eggs Poached in Tomato Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 -5 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- Put the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic. Stir-fry for a minute, then reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking vegetables for 3 or 4 minutes so that the onion becomes translucent with a little color around the edges.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the sauce has cooked, use the back of a spoon to create 4 rounded wells, one in each quarter of the pan. Carefully break each egg and place into each of the hollows.
- Cover pan with a lid leaving it partially open to allow some heat and moisture to escape. Cook until eggs reach your preferred level of doneness.
- Carefully scoop egg with some sauce onto serving plates. Garnish with chives.
- Serve with warmed pita or other flatbread of choice.
- •Variation: You can make this a little spicier, add a small chili to the onions. If you do so, you may want to omit the chives and instead garnish with finely chopped parsley.